There are lots of ways to have sex with little or no risk of getting pregnant, but most of them can still give you an STD. For example, oral sex puts you at risk of numerous STDs, including herpes, syphilis, and gonorrhea. Fortunately, practicing safe sex can reduce, if not eliminate, your risk of getting an STD. However, you have to do it all the time or it’s not going to do you nearly enough good.
There are lots of things you should talk about before having sex, and safe sex is only one of them.
- Talk about whether you’re ready
- Talk about whether you want to
- Talk about what’s going to change if you do
- Talk about whether you’re prepared with the supplies you need,
- Talk about screening for various STDS
- Talk about anything……
But do talk.
After all, you can always have sex with someone later. It’s worth taking the time to talk now.